Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is a client/server protocol that automatically provides an Internet Protocol (IP) host with its IP address and other related configuration information such as the subnet mask and default gateway.
Every device on a TCP/IP-based network must have a unique unicast IP address to access the network and its resources. Without DHCP, IP addresses for new computers or computers that are moved from one subnet to another must be configured manually; IP addresses for computers that are removed from the network must be manually reclaimed.
With DHCP, this entire process is automated and managed centrally. The DHCP server maintains a pool of IP addresses and leases an address to any DHCP-enabled client when it starts up on the network. Because the IP addresses are dynamic (leased) rather than static (permanently assigned), addresses no longer in use are automatically returned to the pool for reallocation.
Steps of installing DHCP server on Windows server 2012 r2 are below:
- To install DHCP Server go to Dashboard on Server Manager and click Manage then click Add Rules and Features:
2.On the Before You Begin window click Next:
3. In the Select installation type window select Role-based or feature-based installation the click Next:
4. Choose the server you want to install DHCP from the Server pool. So we have one server and select by default:
5. From the Select server Roles window select DHCP Server. When the Add Roles and Features Wizard Page opened, click Add Features then Click Next. That will install required features for DHCP Server:
6. In the Select Features window, click Next:
7. After reading the information about DHCP Server and click Next:
8. In the Confirm Installation selections page, select Restart the destination server automatically if required. Click Yes the warning window and click Install.
9. Click Complete DHCP Configuration link to complete configuration:
10. Click Next:
11. Set the user for management of DHCP Server. Here I select my administrator user to perform DHCP Server configuration:
12. On the Summary window click Close:
13. and close the Installation progress page also.
You can enter DHCP server interface from Server manager -> Tools -> DHCP
DHCP server installation on Windows server 2012 R2 server completed.