Today we will look that how to prepare the AD Schema when migrate DC from 2008 r2 to Server 2012 R2.
To do that follow steps below:
- Check Schema object Version before perform procedure. To do that follow picture below. If it is 47 that’s means you have Windows server 2008 r2 DC. After schema upgraded schema version will be 69. All schema version you can see below:
Version Windows Server Version
13 Windows 2000 Server
30 Windows Server 2003
31 Windows Server 2003 R2
44 Windows Server 2008
47 Windows Server 2008 R2
56 Windows Server 2012
69 Windows Server 2012 R2
81 Windows Server 2016 CTP
2. Insert the Windows Server 2012 R2 DVD into the DVD drive of the Windows Server 2008 R2 Domain Controller:
3. Open Command Prompt As Administrator:
4. Open the Directory of the DVD drive and navigate to adprep directory and then type : adprep /forestprep
5. You will receive a warning that all active directory domain controllers in the forest must be running at least windows server 2003. click c and Enter to confirm and continue.
6. Adprep will successfully update the forest:
7. Then type adprep /domainprep and press enter :
8. As we see Adprep successfully updated the domain-wide information.
If you check(1st steps) schema object version again it will be 69.
That’s all Schema Upgrade successfully.