In Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, the Edge Transport server role is deployed in your organization’s perimeter network. Designed to minimize the attack surface, the Edge Transport server handles all Internet-facing mail flow, which provides SMTP relay and smart host services for the Exchange organization. Additional layers of message protection and security are provided by a series of agents that run on the Edge Transport server and act on messages as they’re processed by the message transport components. These agents support the features that provide protection against viruses and spam and apply transport rules to control message flow.
Lets start Installing and configuring edge transport role on Microsoft Exchange Server 2010.
1.First make sure that the server has been configured with a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) like as below:
Then we need install prerequisites for these role.
Open powershell and Use the Add-WindowsFeature cmdlet to install the necessary components. First enter the following command “Import-Module ServerManager” and then enter all components to install:
Add-WindowsFeature NET-Framework,RSAT-ADDS,ADLDS -Restart
2. After restarted server, Start install Edge transport role:
3. See introduction about Exchange and click Next:
4.After Accepting the agreement click Next:
5.Select error Reporting setting and click Next:
6.If you want install all roles select Typical installation otherwise select Custom installation, in this case i will select Custom installation. Also select Automatically install Windows Server roles and features required for Exchange, Click Next:
7. Select Edge transport roles and click Next:
8. Click Next:
9.Wait for the Readiness Check to complete:
if everything OK then click install:
10. Wait for the installation complete, then click Finish and reboot the server to complete process:
Edge transport role successfully installed:
11. Let’s create edge subscription, On the Edge Transport server open the Exchange Management Shell and run the following command using the New-EdgeSubscription cmdlet:
New-EdgeSubscription -FileName “C:\EdgeSubs.xml”
12. Copy that file to the Hub Transport server and follow steps below to add New edge subscription:
13. Select Active Directory Site and click OK.
14. Click Browse to select subscription file and click the New button to complete the wizard:
15. Click Finish:
After that you will see Edge subscription server:
After the Edge Subscription created you will see two Send Connectors configured:
You can test your edge subscription on Hub transport server with command below:
On the Edge transport role installed server you can see same Send connectors: