The Mailbox server role hosts mailbox and public folder databases. It also generates the offline address book (OAB). Mailbox servers provide services that calculate e-mail address policies and address lists for recipients and enforce managed folders.
Lets start install Mailbox role on Microsoft Exchange Server 2010.
1.First we need install prerequisites for these role. So download Microsoft Office 2010 Filter Packs from Microsoft website and install the server. After that Open powershell and Use the Add-WindowsFeature cmdlet to install the necessary components. First enter the following command “Import-Module ServerManager” and then enter all components to install:
2. After that restart the server and start installation for Exchange 2010 :
3. See introduction about Exchange and click Next:
4. After Accepting the agreement click Next:
5.Select error Reporting setting and click Next:
6. If you want install all roles select Typical installation otherwise select Custom installation, in this case i will select Custom installation. Also select Automatically install Windows Server roles and features required for Exchange, Click Next:
7. Select Mailbox roles and click Next:
8. If you do not have outlook 2003 client computers in your organization select No and click Next:
9. Click Next:
10.Wait for the Readiness Check to complete, if everything OK then click install:
11. Wait for the installation complete, then click Finish and reboot the server to complete process:
So that is all we installed Mailbox role on Microsoft Exchange Server 2010.