VMware View is a commercial desktop-virtualization product developed by VMware, Inc. Its first two releases (2.0.0 and 2.1.0) sold under the name VMware VDM, but with the 3.0.0 release in 2008, VMware Inc. changed the name to “VMware View”. “VMware View” became “Horizon View” with the launch of Horizon 6 in April 2014.
Horizon View 7 have following components :
- Connection Server – a software service that acts as a broker for client connections by authenticating and then directing incoming user requests to the appropriate virtual desktop, physical desktop, or terminal server.
- Replica Server – This is additional Connection Servers are considered Replicas. Replica server is for provide redundancy and load balancing thus providing availability.
- Security Server -it’s allows external users access their virtual desktop in the internal network from the Internet. The Security server is installed on Windows Server and placed on DMZ network of the company network.
- Enrollment Server – The enrollment server requests short-lived certificates on behalf of the users you specify. These short-term certificates are the mechanism True SSO uses for authentication to avoid prompting users for Active Directory credentials.
- Composer Server – a software service that is installed on a vCenter server to allow VMware View to rapidly deploy multiple linked-clone desktops from a single centralized base image.
- View Agent -a software service that is installed on all guest virtual machines, physical systems, or terminal servers in order to allow them to be managed by VMware View. The agent provides features such as connection monitoring, Virtual Printing, USB support, and single sign-on.
- View Client – a software application that communicates with View Connection Server to allow users to connect to their desktops
- ThinApp – It is application virtualization solution from VMware. It is an optional component in Horizon VDI infrastructure. ThisApp stores applications in a ThinApp repository which is shared on the network.
We will look at most used components of VMware Horizon View 7.
We have following articles about VMware Horizon View 7:
- Installing the Connection Server on Horizon View 7
- Installing Security Server on Horizon View 7
- Add License to Horizon View 7
- Installing Horizon View Composer on Horizon View 7
- Add vCenter server to Horizon View 7
- Create Master Desktop Template on Horizon View 7
- Automated Desktop Pool on Horizon View 7